Saturday, November 3, 2007

Baking Substitutions

Well I know there are always times when you REALLY want to make a recipe but find your self on item short! Some things can be substituted for other things and I have tried to find a few of those for you. What started this for me was the Buttermilk.I have NEVER ever bought buttermilk, until recently I would not have been able to tell you what it was use for or in.. but now of course I have found quite a few that need it.. grrr so I went hunting. I found some of the most common stuff that you might in a pinch need to substitute. There are some great sites out there with SO MUCH substitution info! Its crazy. you can almost bake a cake with all substitutions LMAO.... I wonder how that would turn out....

any way on to the few main substitutions I thought might be helpful to you.

Allspice 1 tsp.
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Baking powder 1 tsp.
• 1/3 tsp. baking soda and 5/8 tsp. cream of tartar

Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
. 2 tsp double-action baking powder

Brown sugar 1 cup
• 1 cup sugar plus 1 tsp. molasses

Buttermilk 1 cup
.1 cup milk + 1tbs vinegar or lemon juice

Condensed milk
.in a saucepan combine a cup of evaporated milk with 1 1/4 cup sugar. Heat untill dissolved. Can save for a few days in the fridge.

Cream of Tarter 1/2 tsp
.1/2 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice

Brown sugar 1cup
.1cup white sugar plus 2 tbsp of molasses

White sugar 1 cup
.1 1/3 cup brown sugar
.1 1/2 cup powder sugar

Yogurt, plain 1 cup
.1 cup sour cream
.1 cup buttermilk

No comments:

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online